Peer-Reviewed Research Publications
- Wilson, M. L., Celedonia, K. L., Kamala, B. A. (2013) Patterns,
characteristics, and correlates of adolescent bully-victims in
Tanzania. Social Sciences 2(4), 234-246; doi:10.3390/socsci2040234
- Wilson, M. L., Dunlavy A. C., Berchtold, A. (2013) Social
inequalities and bullying: a cross-national multilevel analysis of
bullying among 15 low- and middle-income countries. Social
Sciences. 2(4), 208-220; doi:10.3390/socsci2040208 (OPEN ACCESS)
- Celedonia, K. L., Wilson, M. L., El Gammal, H., Hagras, A.
(2013) Physical fighting among Egyptian adolescents: social and
demographic correlates among a nationally representative sample.
PeerJ, 1:e125 http:// dx.doi.org/ 10.7717/ peerj.125 (OPEN ACCESS)
- Wilson, M. L., Viswanathan, B., Rousson, V., Bovet, P. (2013)
Weight Status, Body Image and Bullying among Adolescents in the
Seychelles. International Journal of Environmental Research and
Public Health, 10(5), 1763-1774 doi: 10.3390/ ijerph10051763 (OPEN ACCESS)
- Wilson, M. L., Tchantchaleishvili, V. (2013) The importance of
open source software and open standards in modern scientific
publishing. Publications 1, 49-55 doi: 10.3390
- Wilson, M. L. and Lewis E. R. (2013) Non-fatal gunshot trauma
among a sample of adolescents in Djibouti: Prevalence and
correlates. Journal of Interpersonal Violence (Online first) doi:
10.1177 / 0886260513505142
- Wilson, M. L. (2012) Child and adolescent injury in Africa -
still underappreciated and understudied. Tanzania Journal of
Health Research, 14(3). doi: http://dx.doi.org/
- Wilson, M. L., Kamala, B. A., Dunlavy, A. C., Kigwangalla, H. A.
(2012) Demographic and contextual influences in injury risk among
adolescents in a low-income country setting: Results from a
school-based survey in Tanzania. African Safety Promotion Journal.
Vol.10 No. 2 (OPEN
- Wilson, M. L., Dunlavy, A. C., Bharathi, V., & Bovet, P.
(2012) Suicidal Expression among School-Attending Adolescents in a
Middle-Income Sub-Saharan Country. International Journal of
Environmental Research and Public Health, 9(11), 4122?4134. doi:
10.3390/ ijerph9114122 (OPEN
- Wilson, M. L., Hasselberg, M., Kigwangalla, H. A., Boursiquot,
B. L., & Laflamme, L. (2012) The association between family
health status and child injury in a sample of African children.
International Journal of Injury Control and Safety Promotion. doi:
- Johansson, K. A., Miljeteig, I., Kigwangalla, H., Norheim, O. F.
(2011) HIV priorities and health distributions in a rural region
in Tanzania: a qualitative study. BMJ Journal of Medical Ethics.
- Kamala, B., Wilson, M. L., & Hasselberg, M. (2011) Pattern
of childhood falls in a low-income setting: a cross-sectional
study in Dar es Salaam. International Journal of Injury Control
and Safety Promotion, 18(4), 305-311. doi: 10.1080/
- Roman, I. M., Lewis, E. R., Kigwangalla, H. A., & Wilson, M.
L. (2011) Child burn injury in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania: Results
from a community survey. International Journal of Injury Control
and Safety Promotion. doi: 10.1080/ 17457300.2011.628753
Pre-prints (not peer reviewed)
- Wilson, M. L., Seifert, S. P. (2013) Area-based sampling for an
epidemiological study on injury patterns and risk factors in a
low-income urban setting in sub-Saharan Africa. PeerJ PrePrints
1:e24v1 http://dx.doi.org/10.7287/ peerj.preprints.24v1 (OPEN ACCESS)
Published Research Abstracts
- de Vos, P. (2011). Participatory photographic risk assessment
for child injury prevention. BMJ Injury Prevention
- Wilson, M. and Dunlavy, A. (2012) Suicidal ideation among
adolescents in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania: Patterns, planning and
significant associations. Safety 2012 World Conference.
Wellington, NEW ZEALAND. Published in BMJ Injury Prevention
- Ibragimova, A. (2010). It's in Their Hands: Exploring the
causes of Intimate Partner Violence, a Case Study in Dar es
Salaam, Tanzania. Thesis for Degree of Master of International
Development. Lund University (OPEN
- Bekmukhamedov, U. (2010). Influence of gender, age and
household well-being on unintentional childhood injuries: a
cross-sectional study in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania). Thesis for
Degree of Master of International Development. Lund
- Muiruri, R. (2011). An exploratory study on elder abuse in
Tanzania. Thesis for Master of Public Health Degree. University of
North Texas (OPEN
- Lenz, H. (2011). HIV/AIDS Orphans and their caregivers in
Arusha, Tanzania. Thesis for Master of Public Health Degree.
University of Pittsburgh (OPEN
- Ibragimova, I., Bekmukhamedov, U. Photovoice Project
Evaluation. January 2010
- Wilson, M. L. Injury: A Neglected Health Concern in the Global
South. Finnish Red Cross, Southwest District. Turku, FINLAND
(November 4, 3013)
- Wilson, M. L. Injury Prevention and International Development,
Lund University Master in International Development (LUMID), Lund
University, SWEDEN (April 4-5, 2013)
- Wilson, M. L. Injury Prevention Among Adolescents within the
PeerCorps Network: Vision, Challenges and Sustainability. Seattle
Children's Hospital, Department of Adolescent Medicine, Seattle,
WA, USA (March 20, 2013)
- Muiruri. R., Wilson M. L. Elder abuse, maltreatment and neglect
in Tanzania: Initial findings and potential countermeasures. 20th
International Safe Community Conference. Falun, SWEDEN
- Wilson, M. L. The injury narrative: A patient empowerment tool.
20th International Safe Community Conference. Falun, SWEDEN
- Wilson, M. L. Adolescent perspectives on injury risk and
community reflections on a participatory photo-based risk
assessment in Dar es Salaam. 20th International Safe Community
Conference. Falun, SWEDEN
- de Vos, P. Photo-based risk assessment. Karolinska Institute,
Division of Global Health. (Stockhom, Sweden). March 2010.
- de Vos, P. Photovoice. PANOS Meeting. (Nairobi, Kenya). March
- Wilson, M. L. Patterns and risk factors for child injury in a
setting (Dar es Salaam, Tanzania). 19th International Conference
on Safe Communities (Suwon, South Korea). March 2010.
- de Vos, P. Photovoice. Meeting of Stakeholders, Muhimbili
University of Medicine and Allied Health Sciences (Dar es Salaam,
Tanzania) August 2009
- Dunlavy, A., Roman, I., Bekmukhamedov, U., Bauer, F.
Ibragimova, A., Chen, C., Boursiquot, B, DeYulius, V. Injuries
among children in Dar es Salaam: Initial findings and future
directions (Dar es Salaam) August 2009 [PDF,
- Wilson, M. L. Engaging youth in injury prevention: experiences
with participatory research in a low income urban setting.
Barcelona Public Health Agency, Section for Traffic Injury.
(Barcelona, Spain). November 2009
- Wilson, M. L., Seifert S. Area Based Sampling: Dar es Salaam
Child Injury Study. [PDF,
- Wilson, M. L.; Dunlavy, A; Roman, I. Field Risk Assessment: Dar
es Salaam Child Injury Study. [PDF,